Honest conversations about social issues are often uncomfortable. Often controversial, these issues get under our skin, tearing at the fabric, not only of who we are, but how we view those around us.
As tensions over race and ethnicity in U.S. cities heat up, it’s easy to complain about (or simply ignore) the state of our fractured communities. But God wants his children to take up the hard work of healing…to ask the uncomfortable questions:
- What if racial reconciliation in our cities started with the church?
- What if Christians had the courage to listen to their marginalized brothers and sisters?
- What if believers dared to live in the spiritual unity accomplished by Jesus?
This Black History Month, American Bible Society and Biblical Seminary are excited to host “Under My Skin,” an evening of conversations about racial issues in the Christian church. The night will kick off with some light refreshments and appetizers. Then a diverse group of panelists will lead large and small group discussions organized around three dialogues:
1. BLACK & WHITE: RACIAL IDENTITY AT A CROSSROADS
What do we mean when we talk about “black identity” and “white identity?” What words, artifacts and institutions have shaped racial identity in America? In the first dialogue, we will discuss the future of race relations in our nation.
2. LATINO & ASIAN: BROADENING THE CONVERSATION
In the United States, conversations about race have tended to focus on the abiding racial tensions between blacks and whites. But what about the experience of Latinos, Asians and other ethnic minorities? In the second dialogue, we will attend to the voices that have often gone unheard in America’s cultural conversation.
3. FLESH & SPIRIT: REFOCUSING THE LENS
In Ephesians 6:12, Paul reminds us that the church’s true enemies are not fleshly, but spiritual—“cosmic powers of this dark age.” In the third and final dialogue, we will consider how the Bible leads to true reconciliation by reshaping the lenses through which Christians see race, enabling us to deal with underlying spiritual realities.
Speakers and Participants:
listed below are the confirmed speakers and particpants for the "Under My Skin" event.
- Roy Peterson - American Bible Society
- Dr. Frank James - President of Biblical Seminary
- Dr. Dan Williams - Director of urban programs at Biblical Seminary
- Dr. Greg Thompson - New City Commons
- Malcolm Byrd - NewCORE
- Jael Chambers - Young Life Philadelphia
- Kuybeom Lee - Director of DMin Program at Biblical Seminary
- Manny Ortiz - Author, pastor of Spirit and Truth Fellowship church, and faculty member at Biblical Seminary
- Debbie Ortiz
- Arthur Satterwhite - American Bible Society
- Dr. Peter Heltzel - New York Theological Seminary
- Rev. Donna Jones